Tuesday 22 May 2012

The man I hate most in politics - The Baron Winston

When asked which politician I despise most, my answer surprises most people.  It's not Thatcher, Blair, Brown, Tebbitt, Ed Milliband, Philip Davies or one of the many other crackpots who have represented us on the green benches of the House of Commons.

It's Lord Robert Winston, not that kind doctory type you may say. YES I do mean that horrible anti-democratic Labour zealot.

You see the above names don't pretend that they are not politicians. They stood for elections, present their views and won or lost accordingly. While I generally dislike their politics, I admire the fact that they are upfront and honest with party affiliations and put themselves up for public critique (and occasionally ridicule).

The Lord Winston however does not do this, instead because of his roles, both within the medical profession and as science TV presenters, the general public views him as a neutral figure. Somebody they can trust over political issues when he speaks. Yet of course he is not. He is a Labour Lord, taking the Labour Whip and speaking in a Parliamentary assembly on behalf of them.

This is of course a problem, when he speaks about Lords reform. Because he speaks about protecting an institution, the public view him not as a Labour Lord, trying to keep his expenses, but as a that nice guy off the telly. It gives him a non-politician credo that is totally misleading. He is a politician - just an unelected one, I can't vote to replace him though like I should be able to do with someone who impacts on the laws I am meant to abide by!



No comments:

Post a Comment