Thursday 29 May 2014

Thoughts on Rennard

When I saw the word "Rennard" in the headlines, after the week we've had, I inwardly groaned. But I was delighted when it emerged he had apologised.

Some good work had obviously gone on behind the scenes to get to this position. We now need all parties to accept the statement and move on. The only harm dragging this out will be to Lib Dems.

Chris should be re-integrated into the party. I say this for several reasons: 

Firstly he has done what was asked of him in the report. He has apologised for his conduct. As a party we do believe in due process, Chris has not been charged let alone convicted of any offence. He has engaged with a report into his behaviour and (finally) accepted the conclusions of the report. We would think it would be wrong to punish someone who has not been convicted of any offence - so why should Chris be any different?

Secondly Chris has spent most of life working for the good of the party and this should not be forgotten.

Thirdly, there is a quid pro quo - if we keep moving the goalposts then our already dubious internal procedures will simply fall apart, opening us up to legal challenges. If this happened we may be unable to kick out people who really need to be kicked out.

The rumours I heard about Chris's actions were not of the illegal type but rather of actions unbecoming of a Lib Dem Chief Executive. But the fact I heard rumours makes me think that the party failed to act and supported the powerful over the weak. We must never allow this to happen again.

To this end the party have appointed an pastoral care officer - I've been less than impressed so far. My first contact with the officer was an email requesting I fill in a survey a few weeks before polling day. The timing was completely inept. I didn't fill it in.  I ran out of time, like many other organisers.  It seemed a bit too like a hatchet job - nothing's wrong with our staff because we didn't receive any complaints. That's rubbish we were all working too hard.

I've seen in the past few months a number of examples of bad working practices. What would be good would be a booklet sent to all elected Lib Dems about inappropriate behaviour with staff. Explaining what is bullying, homophobia, sexual misconduct, harassment etc. It may get laughed at but it is important.

We must always act in accordance with our beliefs even if it costs electorally or damages a senior 
party figure. There must be no repeat of Rennard.







No comments:

Post a Comment